Saturday, March 31, 2012

Market Basket with hand made handle

Dimensions: 8"w x 12"l x 7" h
Dyes used: black walnut and rit (navy blue and red)

Hand made handle

Time to completion: 4 hours

I intend to use this basket for my first basket class.

I think the checkboard design (walnut dyed sides and natural weavers) turned out really nice. The design is based on the blue being a twill weave (over 2/under 2, etc) and the red being a regular weave (over/under, etc).

Here are other samples of market baskets that I have made. For the zig-zag basket I was experimenting with different weaves and had no clue what I wanted. It is a bit misshapen but is very sturdy. I have used it to carry very heavy items and also to store my wool thread.

Red, white, & blue market

Base of red, white & blue market
Inside view of red, white & blue market

Zig-zag design

Base of zig-zag

Market with chain design
Base of market with chain design

No comments:

Post a Comment