Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Small Shaker Market basket with closed weave base design

Small Shaker Market basket
Material: reed
Dimension:
Closed weave Base:8"w x 9 1/2 " l
Top opening: 8 1/2" w x 12" l
Handmade oak handle
dipped in walnut dye bath. Completion time: 6 hours. I soaked the material for about an hour (including the handle) plus the base adjustment took a bit longer to work with.
This challenge for this basket was making the base (bottom). For one, I had to add extra weavers since I only used 1/2" stakes. And two, it had been a long while since I worked with this base design so it took a bit of studying (especially since I had to modify). I made this basket outside on the patio. It was not windy that day or too hot.
The cat did enjoy my working on the basket. Sometimes she would jump up on the table and look at my tools and equipment (and bite a few). Other times she would attack the 1/4" weaver as I was weaving in the base or the sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment