Saturday, March 31, 2012

1740's Seneca style Quiver


Dimensions:
3" diameter
2' long
Walnut (packet) dyed
Hand woven strap
Brown trade beads dangling from the top part of the strap.
Deer hide Leather wrapped around the top of the quiver. Turtle design on the hide. I still have to paint the turtle using leather dye. I am just waiting for the dye to arrive in the mail.
I have made this quiver for many years. It used to be made using black ash but I can't get the 1" black ash strips (the sides are 3/4" and the weavers are 1/2") anymore from my supplier (I am checking other places).
I wanted to add something to the top part of the quiver this time. I bought a piece of buffalo leather with the hair on to see how that would look. It was very thick and looked a bit weird (tho I think the look would grow on you after awhile). I was hoping to find bear. I ended up buying a deer hide (maybe next time I will get one with the fur on) and added a turtle design since my camp name is little turtle.
The area I live in is blessed with a very large bead store. They have a wide assortment of trade beads. I added a few to the ends of the strap to jazz it up a bit.
This quiver is a bit difficult to make (at first). Only 4 strips of the 3/4" wide splints are used for the base and sides and it is just hard to get it started. Once the base and lower part of the quiver is the way it should be, everthing then goes smoothly.
When I make others, I think I will start using white ash and just walnut dye the splints.
I have one of my black ash quivers in the Seneca museum in New York. I am very proud of this accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment